IAWRT, India Chapter is has two exiting opportunites for members:The Directorship of the prestigious Asian Women’s Film Festival, or a scholarship to support a media or research project.
Festival Director of the 15th IAWRT
Asian Women’s Film Festival (AWFF) 2019
3rd Jai Chandiram Memorial Fellowship
ABOUT THE FELLOWSHIP
The Jai Chandiram Memorial fellowship has been instituted by her family to support media and research projects by members of the IAWRT India Chapter. Jai Chandiram was a distinguished media professional and former Deputy Director General (DDG) of Doordarshan . She was the founding member and Managing Trustee of IAWRT India Chapter and the first Asian to be the President of IAWRT International..
The first and second Jai Chandiram Memorial Fellowship were awarded to filmmakers, Iram Ghufran and Debjani Mukherjee, respectively.
The Fellowship is open for a member of the India chapter of IAWRT who has paid all her dues till date.
RULES AND REGULATIONS
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
Rs. 60,000 (May be awarded to one candidate or shared by two as per the discretion of the Jury)
IAWRT, India Chapter has been organising the Asian Women’s Film Festival (AWFF) in the first week of
March in New Delhi since 2005. Over the years, this has evolved into one of the leading film festivals in
the country. The main aim of the festival is to showcase the work of women directors of Asian origin in
different genres – documentaries, short fiction, animation, experimental and feature fiction. The AWFF
has gained a reputation for being a forum to view films by women filmmakers from across Asia and for
well-organised discussion-based events and interactions. The Festival also assembles travelling packages
that are shown at other festivals in India and abroad.
IAWRT is putting out a call for the position of Festival Director which is open to any IAWRT India Chapter
member with the requisite experience. A 500-word note on your vision for the forthcoming festival along
with your CV should be sent by July 7, 2018 to Nupur Basu, Managing Trustee, IAWRT India at
[email protected] with a copy to [email protected]
Title: Festival Director, IAWRT Asian Women’s Film Festival
Duration: From August 2018 to May 2019 (in part time capacity)
Location: New Delhi
Professional: While the work is voluntary in nature, an honorarium of Rs100,000 (One Lakh only) is
offered as a remuneration.
The Festival Director is responsible for providing the unifying vision to the entire festival and designing the events taking place accordingly. The candidate should have film-programming experience and should have an understanding of IAWRT’s vision. An engagement with cinema is also necessary and filmmaking experience is desirable.
- The Festival Director will be responsible for securing and planning the highest quality programme of films, panel discussions, an exhibition and related events.
- The job calls for both curatorial and administrative skills and applicants must have experience that demonstrates a high level of organisational skills.
- The person appointed as Festival Director will work with filmmakers, international agencies and other organisations, supported by the IAWRT India Board and other members taking an active role in the film festival.
- The work will be done in collaboration with a team of sectional curators and volunteers whom the Festival Director will guide.
- The Festival Director would also help the Board in raising sponsorships for the event, making presentations and conducting meetings as required.
- The Director’s responsibilities will include planning the budget and overseeing all matters regarding revenue and expenses of the Festival in consultation with the Managing Trustee and the Treasurer.
POST – FESTIVAL RESPONSIBNILITIES
As the festival has a life beyond the actual three day event, a period of 10 weeks is set aside, for the
remainder of March, April and May for the Festival Director to complete the set of post-festival tasks.
Working with the Treasurer to pay off outstanding amounts
Completion of accounts
Closing of ongoing correspondence, including letters of thanks
Formation of post-festival travelling packages and coordinating with filmmakers and
Handing over of complete records and physical assets so that the data is available for the
following year's festival team
As the physical work of the festival will be located in Delhi, preference will be given to candidates who
live in Delhi or at least those who will be available full time in the city from January to mid-March 2019,
with the post-festival handing over being completed over email and mail by May 2019.