The APC End violence: Women’s rights and safety online project is changing women’s lives. It is our goal with this section to offer a personal look at individual women whose lives have been significantly impacted by the initiative. This week, the project partner in Kenya, the International Association of Women in Radio and Television (IAWRT), shares the stories of women whose organisations were strengthened in a sustainable way to address technology-related violence against women.
The Safety of Women in Media is a Key Part of Realising our Vision
In order to advance the impact of women in media they must be safe to do their work. Violence against female journalists - physical or digital - is a double attack on their sex and their profession. IAWRT facilitates:
- Sharing of local experiences and strategies for safety of female media professionals.
- Focus on safety issues in web features, social media and our global documentary films.
- Safety training for chapters and in conferences by IAWRT Vice President, Abeer Saady.
- 'Training of Trainers' and providing resources for such safety ambassadors in this section.
- First edition of the Safety Handbook for Women Journalists (2017) arising from safety workshops
- Conditions of use for free resource What if ... ? SAFETY HANDBOK FOR WOMEN JOURNALISTS